Friday, September 12, 2008

Week 4 Readings

Wikipedia : Database

While reading this, I tried to think which sorts of models and operations were used by the database I worked with at my old job. I'm not sure, though -- it seems like the interface made everything obscure to the user. I would think it was a network database, but I'm not sure. I definitely remember issues with locking. With the database I used, it seemed to work in the manner than an OS makes a computer usable -- the software's interface made the data easily retrievable without much IT knowledge. Of course, when there were problems, I had to go to a supervisor or IT person.

Interesting that wikipedia notes a bibliographic database (ie library catalogue) as its own type of database. How does it function differently than other kinds?

Gilliland: Metadata

I'm glad this article is giving such specific examples of metadata (library metadata could be Library of Congress subject headings; archival metadata could be a finding aid). Although the term may have been borrowed from geodata specialists, it can be used for information in lots of forms, digital or not.

The issue of standardization is interesting. In the archival preservation course, we've been learning about international standards for microfilming & other materials. Although the guidlelines here aren't as physical; they seem to be organizational/content standards.

So metadata records our interactions with data as well as the information object's content. So it will increase over time as we process/preserve/modify data -- is this part of the information boom or a sort of shadow-boom?

Dublin Core

This deals with the previous question of standardization of metadata. Have these semantic guidelines been widely adopted? By whom? Have they been revised since this was originally published?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made an interesting comment about how the user interface prevents us from really knowing what kind of database we're working with. It reminded me of some of the articles about infrastructure we've read for the 2000 class...you don't know it's there or how it works until it's not working anymore.

I also thought the idea of international standards for metadata use and labeling a good one, but it seems like such a huge undertaking given the differences in language, etc in different parts of the world.

Eric Weisman said...

Michelle, what database program did you have to use?

Nicole Plana said...

I had the same question regarding standards, while I read the Dublin article. I wanted to know more information on where this stands today. Who follows what guidelines, etc.

I am assuming you learn a lot of this information in your archives course. I'm in the academic track, but I would like to learn more about this subject.

mec said...

http://www.blackbaud.com/products/fundraising/raisersedge.aspx

that's the database software from my old job...Raiser's Edge, designed for non-profts to get $$ out of people.