Friday, October 17, 2008

Week 8 Reading

Ok, back from vacation...

HTML Tutorial & HTML cheatsheet

Well, there isn't a whole lot to take notes on here. Obviously these will be great references for the next assignment. The tutorial especially is helpful because it has visual examples of what everything will look like (at first I wasn't sure what they meant by "forms" but I figured it out).

(Incidentally, the url for the cheatsheet is listed incorrectly in the syllabus. It should be http://www.webmonkey.com/reference/HTML_Cheatsheet.)

Do people still use frames? They seem so...old fashioned.

CSS Tutorial

Less familiar territory here. But the explanation makes a lot of sense: it's a way to separate design from content (on a practical level...whether or not they can be separated on a philosophical level is a different issue) as well as save time and maintain consistency.

The CSS can be internal or external. If external, you link to your style sheet within your webpage's html and it applies the design html from the style sheet. Is the css document just saved on your computer or does it have to be uploaded to the web? I can't find an explanation of this on the tutorial, it just says create the sheet in any text editor and save as a .css file.

Goans, Leach and Vogel: Beyond HTML

Here the web librarian uses CSS to make the library's website more consistent, and navigation and use easier. It's just one component of the overall content management system.

Interestingly, the university created this system in-house instead of using commercial or open-source software. This is clearly ideal because the system can be designed specifically for the purposed of the university. But not all libraries will have the luxury of the IT personnel to do this for them. Oh...maybe that's why we are reading this.

Beyond the technical aspect, this article emphasized the importance of getting input from all quarters - tech staff, librarians, students, even peer libraries to see what their experience has been like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you made a good point about the advantages of creating an in-house CSS since you can customize it. And it's so important to get input from everyone who may need to utilize it...if your employees aren't comfortable with or can't navigate the technology, it doesn't matter how much better your IT person thinks it is than the old system.

Eric Weisman said...

VERY interesting post here. Do you really think that content cannot be separated from design on a philosophical level? I'm not sure myself. I think, in general, I am happy to divorce content and design (mp3s without album jackets, reality tv shows without commercials) when someone else is creating the design and content.