Friday, October 31, 2008

Week 9 Readings

Introduction to XML

XML is a markup language with clearer boundaries than HTML -- each piece or entity is defined. The example of the memo, with the To and From fields encoded in the tags, seems to me like the metadata is already included? Later on the author says XML files are perfect for databases and I assume that this is why.

I wish this included an example of how an XML document displays on a screen.

Survey of XML Standards

Yes, article, I agree that this is intimidating for newcomers. I'm gonna wait for Prof. He to explain this stuff I think.

Interesting that ISO is involved in XML standards! Mostly I have heard about them in my preservation class.

Nice that there are a lot of links to other tutorials, though.

Extending Your Markup

I cannot get this one to work, even searching the e-journal from on campus. sorry.

XML Schema Tutorial

This website wants me to vote McCain-Palin, by the by.

XML schemas are better than DTD, and will probably replace DTD. So I am not going to have to learn DTD, that's good news.

XML restrictions: is this so new entries into a database will fit the correct format of all the other entries and be searchable/usable?

1 comment:

spk said...

I too was heartened by the reappearance of ISO in this weeks literature. Much like my growing menagerie of "Muddies", I really feel like I am getting to be old friends with these IT acronyms.