Friday, November 28, 2008
Muddiest Point Week 12
Might social tagging sometimes be less useful that we think? Some blogs -- popular ones, even -- use tagging as a source of humor, by putting in joke tags (the opposite of the actual content, overly specific, sarcastic or whatever). The point is to laugh when you see them, not to actually click on them. I think this is probably a small minority of tags, but I still feel like it's not addressed by all these authors who are so gung-ho about how social tagging is going to make everything super-easy to find forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i have never seen the "joke tags" you mentioned, but you bring up a good point, about the injected value of tags..
I used to leave "joke tags" because sarcasm is the most popular form of irony. I also used to tag things "blah" or "shut up". Sometimes for fun I also send out emails to family members with subject headings like "Osama bin Awesome" to lead the government on a false lead. I'm going to end up taking an unexpected vacation to Cuba...if I stop showing up to class for several weeks, please contact my family.
Post a Comment