Friday, November 21, 2008

Week 12 readings

Reichard & Harder: Weblogs

Blogging applications = social software (bottom-up rather than top-down). Makes sense. Interesting they recommend disabling comments sometime.

Blogs seem to have really taken off in libraries (I say this from the article's examples and my own experience). Do they have potential in archives, too? Posting about the latest collection you've accessioned?

Allan: Wiki

This article makes wikis sound very useful for groups working together as a way to share information. I guess my question is, how is it different from having a blog with multiple contributors who have editing privileges? A wiki would have more formatting options I suppose (Allan talks about handouts which would presumably be printed and given to students).

Arch: Social Tagging

Oh, the word "folksonomy" is so cute.

Social tagging in a library catalog? I can see the uses -- PittCat can be tricky to navigate sometimes, and in closed-stacks libraries like the Frick Fine Arts Library where I work, students can't go wander in the shelves and browse. If they could see what books other had found useful -- grouped by subject rather than call number which can be misleading -- this could make life a lot easier.

Wales: Wikipedia

Wow, I have been reading/writing about wikipedia so much this semester and only now am I actually learning its history. This dude is proud of himself, huh? I mean, with reason. I like that wikipedia is not English-centric.

The Neutrality Policy allows people to express their views as long as couched in language like "some critics say" or something that indicates that Wikipedia itself remains netural.

But if you are "asked to leave the community," is it by contributors or by Jimmy himself? I imagine it must be a vote/dialogue similar to the process of deleting pages.

4 comments:

Corrine W said...

Now I wonder about being asked to leave the community, it never occurred to me to consider it before reading your post. Yes, Jimmy Wales is a bit proud of himself but I liked his philosophy on being the dictator and stepping in to be the leader if one is needed but otherwise letting it grow as it will. More things need to work that way.

I loved the word "folksonomy" too. And "spagging". FUN.

P.S. The colors on you blog are great!

Samantha Le Blanc said...

yes, the colors are quite soothing. its like blogromatherapy...

mec said...

ha thanks guys! i just picked a blogger template...

Eric Weisman said...

Michelle, Good point about the issue of the neutrality in wikipedia. In spite of the fact that many of the articles may be considered neutral, I wonder how about the neutrality of the "relevance" qualifications that wikipedia uses to delete some entries. Still, it is probably more neutral in this regard than other, commercially produced encyclopedias.