Friday, November 14, 2008

Week 11 Readings

Mischo. Digital Libraries: Challenges and Influential Work

I had no idea about the DL-1 and DL-2 initiatives. Funded by NASA and the FBI? How interesting. It seems that access to scientific journals and things like GIS really drove the project -- public libraries weren't really a concern at that point.

I am not entirely sure I understand the usage of "federated" here, as in "federated search." It seems to mean searching multiple databases at the same time. So is it interchangeable with "aggregated search"? And/or "harvested" search? I am getting a bit tripped up by the lingo, perhaps someone can clarify this in class.

Paepcke: Dewey Meets Turing

Interestingly structured article -- librarians v. computer scientists. It's too bad librarians didn't win; the article could have been called "Dewey Defeats Turing." LOL!!!!

Actually it's a pretty good lesson in why librarianship has turned into such a tech-savvy profession.

Also a quote that applies to a lot of what we've been reading for LIS 2000: "At the same time that they herald online self-publishing as the breakage of shackles from the tyranny of publishers, tenure committees cannot wrestle themselves into granting the same respect to online-only work that they afford traditional journal articles."

In this article's view, the role of the librarian in coming years will be to help create the organizational structure as academic fields switch over to an online scholarly presence. And once that is accomplished...?

Lynch: Institutional Repositories

This addresses similar issues of scholarly publishing. It goes a little further in describing exactly how institutional repositories function, and distinguishing between publishing and the broader "communication." Repositories are not a replacement for journals -- I keep thinking of all our Panopto videos from this semester. Do they have a repository or will they vanish? They could be a great future reference -- imagine rewatching a lecture years later, instead of trying to decipher your old messy notes...

"Stewardship is easy and inexpensive to claim; it is expensive and difficult to honor." Another way of looking at the future of librarians -- stewards of these repositories.

3 comments:

Elizabeth G. said...

I like the point you made about the Panopto videos. Would they be considered as part of an institutional repository? I know there was talk in LIS 2000 about preserving the videos, but I'm not sure what they are going to do.

Eric Weisman said...

Ditto on the Panopto. I bet they don't save any of them though. And if they did, I'm sure they would not be available for consultation.

Amanda said...

Michelle, you raise a good question concerning the next phase of librarianship following the restructuring of academia. That's all. This is my last comment ever.